Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Last War: Chapter 43, Part 3

"What do you say to people who claim that it was you who initiated The Last War?" Tricia asked.

Without hesitation, The Master of The Claw said, "I say they're right. The Last War can, in it's own way, be traced back to The Rape of Washington. And surely it would have gone no farther than skirmishes along the Russo-Mongolian border if I had not stepped in and proposed The Coalition.

"I'm not trying to make myself look good. I'm simply going to portray myself the way I am. And the truth is, I'm a warmonger. I've always loved battle, honest battle, though."

"What about the incident in Bavaria where you killed, as I understand it, a large number of Jews? Would you consider that fair battle?"

"I had my orders," said Metzger with a slight grimace, "And I won't deny what I did, but I will simply say that I was misled into that atrocity. That's all I'll say on that subject."

"What about..."

"That's all I'll say on that subject," he said again with a foreboding sense of finality.

"Do you think you'll be able to hold Washington forever?"

"I doubt it greatly. For the moment at least America and The Claw have reached an agreement. I'm certain the moment The Last War is over or the tides start to turn, I'll come under fire again. I feel confident right now, though, since I only have to deal with a small German force."

"Have they been attacking you much?"

Metzger smiled a thin, tight-lipped smile.

"You're trying to betray me into giving away some advantage. I know your type, Miss Marsden. You keep airs about being a perfectly professional, unbiased reporter, and yet you very slyly eke information out for the Alliance. Quite clever."

"I note you haven't answered the question."

"Nor will I."

Tricia swallowed a lump in her throat. She was trying to compare Metzger with Bleda Khan. They were both intelligent and dignified. They had both caused vast amounts of suffering and death. The difference between the two, it seemed to Tricia, was that Bleda had principles, he admitted he was wrong, and yet believed his ends were more important than the means. Metzger, on the other hand, didn’t seem to show any sense of morality. She had felt safe in Bleda’s presence that he would keep his word about not harming her, but Metzger evoked terror in her. She continued with her interview.

“Do you have everything you need, Miss Marsden?” Metzger asked towards the end.

“Uh...yes, yes I do.”

“Might I have a few words, then?”

Tricia looked at her cameraman. He nodded. Apparently the ratings were good enough to keep going. GRTH sometimes cut off interviews and even shows right in the middle if the ratings weren’t high enough.

“Yes, certainly,” she said dryly.

“Thank you,” he said, then turned towards the camera.

He said something in German. He repeated it in French. When he began to speak in English again, Tricia could understand him. Since GRTH broadcasted in subtitles, it was unnecessary. He was just showing off his command of language.

“What I’ve just said to Germany and France I will now repeat for all the English speaking nations of the world,” the Master of the Claw said, “This war’s gone on for six years now, if you trace it to it’s roots. Nostradamus said that this war would go on for twenty seven years. You’ve seen what only six can do. Do you really want to let it go on for another twenty one? So, I beseech the Alliance nations to surrender and hasten this war to the conclusion which we all know it will take. Help us to avoid more bloodshed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)