Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Last War: Chapter 79, Part 1

"I can hardly believe you're really dead, Dan."

Even the usually ecstatic Omar was surprisingly quiet and reverent. It was as though he knew somehow his master lay under the ground, and that things were solemn.

"I've retired, you know. I think it's time for this old soldier to fade away. I think it's time for all soldiers to fade away. At least we won't be forgotten. I'll sure as hell never forget you, old friend."

The breeze blew the new grass which was growing on the grave from side to side. Sarah York sighed. She kneeled down to place the flowers on the grave which was marked DANIEL HAYES.

"I don't see why you had to die. It's all my fault, I suppose. If I hadn't got caught up in the Winter Offensive and all..."

"Don't blame yourself."

Sarah turned around suddenly. There was nothing there. She probably imagined the voice. Probably just the wind.

"Still, I'm sorry, Dan. And thanks. Well, I'd better get heading now. There are a lot more graves I've got to visit. I'll take care of Omar for you. He's not to hard to please with some food and attention. I guess I'll have a lot more time to play with him now. I'll be okay with a pension to feed him. You enjoy yourself, you hear? Good bye."

She turned around and turned her lapels up. It was a very windy day. She left the graveyard for another one. It held the graves of so many soldiers, cowards and heroes. It may as well have held the grave of war itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)