Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

30 Day Music Challenge: Day 14 - A Song That No One Would Expect You To Love

So...I drink. A LOT. I am what you might call a guy who tends to drink a lot of alcohol. Don't think there's really a word for that. Connoisseur, maybe. So in...I'm going to say...October 2000...I had a little tipple or two of the ol' hooch. My friend had just downloaded this song (Napster was still a going concern, you see) and played on his Winamp. (Ah, old times.) So Winamp either defaults to instant replay, or my friend just had it set to instant replay.

So I begin to, uh, decorate the floor, let's say, with what we'll just call for propriety's sake...uh...vomit. So my friend starts to clean up his floor, which takes some time, so I lay there on the ground, zoning in an out of reality, and watching the infinite swirl of the specks in the rug. And as I did so, this extremely repetetive anthem was playing on infinite repeat, heightening the experience of absolute redundancy. It approached redunancy in a Platonic ideal sense. Obviously I survived all that, but I learned something from the experience. Well, not really. But to this day I have an affection for this song belying all its intrinsic value as art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)