Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Friday, November 11, 2016

Happy Veteran's Day!

Today is a good, albeit often lonely day for me.  I don't think a whole lot of people get Veteran's Day off.  Certainly none of my family ever did.  I've benefited from (with the exception of about a year at a godawful call center) working for the federal government all my adult life, so I've always gotten Veteran's Day off.

While I was still in the army Golden Corral used to offer a free meal, and we used to wait in line, even when it went around the block, which it often did, especially in a military town.  Nowadays I usually flit to a few different places for lunch, dinner, and coffee and so forth depending on what they're offering.  As I said, it usually means I'm alone, which is a little sad, but I feel like if this is the day of the year when a few businesses want to show their appreciation, I should probably take advantage.

For a few years I tried to make a spree of it, seeing how many different places I could hit, but ultimately I just wasn't enjoying that.  I had made it into a scavenger hunt and it started to make me feel kind of icky, like I was taking advantage.  Nowadays I'm just of the mind, "Okay, I'll get a free meal or two.  No need to cram a year's worth of veteran deals into a single afternoon."

How about you?  How are you spending yours?  Did you contact your veteran friends and family?  Go to Arlington?  Watch war movie on TMC all day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)