Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Women in Horror Month #1: S.C. Parris, Author of THE DARK WORLD


Hey all!  I first met this year's first interviewee for Women in Horror Month a few years ago when we were briefly stablemates together at a small horror press.  Since then she's worked as a student, a bookseller, an editor - basically in every aspect of the publishing business.  So I was delighted when she agreed to come on the blog and share her thoughts.  First, let's meet today's guest, and then we'll jump right into the interview.

About S.C. Parris:



scparris.net



At 24 S.C. Parris has accomplished quite a bit in her young life, but by no means feels her journey is over.

With a dark fantasy vampire series releasing through Permuted Press in 2016, she has been busy at work completing the fourth and fifth and sixth books in the series.

She is a Bookseller at Barnes and Noble and is currently seeking agent representation.

As a lover of the written word she has also chosen to expand her publication list as a Contributing Editor for CLASH Media, and she is the Fantasy Acquisitions Editor for Burning Willow Press.

She is looking to get around to conventions within the coming years so look out for her to come darken up your neck of the woods soon!

With blood and love, she's the one with lots of bite,

Follow her on her website, her Tumblr, her writing Tumblr, Instagram, and Facebook.

Interview:


SK: What are your horror credentials?

SCP:  I'm the author of horror short story, "A Night of Frivolity" published in 2013 by the now-defunct, Before Sunrise Press, and the author of on-going series, THE DARK WORLD series published by Permuted Press. Both deal with vampires, however, THE DARK WORLD series is a dark fantasy, tinged with horror elements, but ultimately an amalgamation of hard fantasy, monsters, and the ever-present fear of death or what it means to be a monster.

SK: Who or what terrifies you?

SCP:  My mind terrifies me. Mainly because I can't control it. I live with anxiety and depression, and though I have both under control, they do tend to escape their cages from time to time. When this happens, I acknowledge it, and do what I can to return to my (somewhat) sanity.

SK: Are there unique challenges to being a woman in horror or do you feel like gender is irrelevant?

SCP:  I feel like gender is definitely relevant to the field. We are seeing more and more women writing horror-oriented pieces, and I hope we continue to see the same. This goes for my WOC (women of color) in the horror writing fields as well. There's this preconceived notion that my vampires will be something akin to the 'Twilight-esque' creations born from that series (mostly because I am a young woman, I believe), but people are very surprised when they learn there is much more depth to my series as a whole, and that my vampires will take the blood they need, from whoever they need it from without another thought.

SK: Who are your favorite female horror icons?

SCP:  My favorite icons would have to be Rhiannon Frater, Anne Rice (though I've never read her work; my love for her is born from what she's done for vampires) and Kindra Sowder. Aside from being amazing women that deal with their share of mental and/or physical illness, they power through and continue to write the stories that shock and scare us. For that, I think of them every time I sit down to write, and even when I'm not.

SK: What are you working on/promoting currently? Why should folks check it out?

SCP:  I'm currently writing Book 5 in THE DARK WORLD series, 'The Goblet.' If a massive world, filled with vampires, werewolves, witches, elves, dragons, merpeople, and centaurs does not entice you, I'm afraid nothing more I can say about it will. It has to be read to be believed, I've found.


About THE DARK WORLD:

28251795

Welcome To The Dark World. A world kept from the eyes of humans where all manner of Dark Creature live, war, and thrive.

But certain Creatures are about to find that there is more to the dark than blood and bite.... The Dark World holds secrets...and the greatest of all are about to be revealed.

When Xavier Delacroix witnesses the death of beloved Vampire Order member, Eleanor Black, his world is turned upside down. A visit to the King of All Dark Creatures, Dracula, reveals little but more secrets, sending Xavier to keep a few for himself. After all, he is no longer sure who he can trust....

With the surprising appearance of strange new Creatures, the Dark World is plagued with a strange energy, energy that is affecting all Dark Creatures for the worst....

Equipped with nothing but questions, Xavier and those close to him are forced to face this new threat, even if it may cost them their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)