Manuscripts Burn


MANUSCRIPTS BURN

"Manuscripts don't burn"
- Mikhail Bulgakov

Hi, I'm horror and science fiction author Steve Kozeniewski (pronounced: "causin' ooze key.") Welcome to my blog! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Amazon. You can e-mail me here, join my mailing list here, or request an e-autograph here. Free on this site you can listen to me recite one of my own short works, "The Thing Under the Bed."

Monday, February 12, 2018

Women in Horror Month #5: Pippa Bailey, Author of LUX


Welcome back, everybody!  I'm very pleased to introduce you to one of the most fun, funny, sarcastic people I've gotten to know on Facebook over the past few years: Pippa Bailey!  Let's meet her briefly then jump right into the interview.

About Pippa Bailey:



Pippa Bailey lives in rural Shropshire, England. Principally a horror writer, independent reviewer, and YouTube personality, her supernatural, and sci-fi stories have featured in several anthologies, and zines. She is known for her ‘question of the day’ on social media, where she asks authors probing or just plain scary questions. Her debut novel LUX is due for release summer 2018.

You can find her on Amazon, Twitter, and her website.

Interview:


SK: How are you involved in the world of horror?

PB:  I have been writing horror for about three years, and published for just over a year in several anthologies. My first novel LUX is due for release this summer (when I am finally happy with it).
I also run an independent review company The Ghoul Guides which has been going almost two years, working with horror, sci-fi and alternative creators. All our reviews are video ones and can be found on the YouTube channel.


SK:  Who or what terrifies you?

PB:  I suffer from a phobia called thanatophobia, it’s not a particularly common phobia but it is something I sometimes struggle with. It’s a crippling fear of death. Not how I die or why I die, but the concept of no longer existing. I happily write about death and decay. I struggle with things about nihilism and physics. I can’t watch things about space and time without feeling incredibly nervous. So, I tend to try and avoid them. I’ve been medicated for it in the past, as it has been totally crippling at times.

SK: Are there unique challenges to being a woman in horror, or do you feel like gender is irrelevant?

PB:  I do think there are challenges to being a female author, let alone working in horror. It’s harder to get noticed, and there is an automatic assumption that our writing will be less gritty or hard hitting because we are the “softer sex”, which I hate. We have to fight for every word to be recognised. I am proud to be part of the community, and the support I have been offered has been invaluable.
I wish I could say gender is irrelevant, but at the moment it’s still a major issue in most industries.


SK: Who are your favorite female horror icons?

PB:  Oh gosh that’s a hard question, I’d have to say I’d be looking at indie creators. Rather than looking at the big names, I draw my inspiration from the people I work with or look up to such as author Mercedes Yardley and artist Katie Whittle. They are fantastic women working in the horror industry, incredibly talented and I wish more people knew about them.

I don’t really look up to film stars as such, but I must say I love Winona Rider a hell of a lot more since her portrayal as Joyce Byers in "Stranger Things," which I am absolutely addicted to.


SK: What are you working on/promoting currently? Why should folks check it out?

I am currently working on my debut novel LUX which should be out later this summer, but you can find my works on Amazon. Later this year I’ll be featured in an anthology of horror drabbles (100 word stories) with authors such as Richard Chizmar (GWENDY'S BUTTON BOX with Stephen King), Lisa Morton (Horror Writers Association) and Michael Bray (author and screenwriter – film “Monster” currently being filmed).   (SK: This interview was conducted a few weeks before posting. It's available now!)

2018 is set to be a busy year and I can’t wait to see how it progresses.

About SPARKS:



This is a public service announcement on behalf of Burdizzo Books.

Ghosts in the machine? Killer currents? Demonic disturbances? 

Then you need Sparks! 

Keep your family safe from bulbs and batteries that go bump in the night by reading Sparks. 15 electrifying tales of horror, sci-fi, bizarro and fantasy. Visit post-apocalyptic nightmare worlds, listen to recordings of the dead, feel the friction of electric lady love and be struck by lightning from the past. 

Plug in, turn on, tune in and get buzzed. 

Sparks – it’s alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your e-mail address in the box below and click "Subscribe" to join Stephen Kozeniewski's Mailing List for Fun and Sexy People. (Why the hell would anyone ever want to join a mailing list?)